ICE CAVE TOUR
Availability: November – March
In this tour we visit natural ice cave in one of the Vatnajökull outlet glaciers, Breiðamerkurjökull.
A great experience is awaiting those who want to explore the unique atmosphere of a wondrous world of natural ice sculptures and formations.
After about 25-30 minutes of driving on a 4 wheel drive road we head forward on foot for about 20-25 minutes, following gravel path before entering the ice cave. The hike is accessible for all in good health. In this tour we do not walk on the glacier.
Gear and safety instructions will be provided before entering the ice cave.
Iceguide is a local company and our guide have good knowledge of the area. All of our tours are led by experienced, certified glacier guides being passionate for good personal service.
Included is all necessary gear. Your guide will evaluate each time which gear is necessary. Truly adventurous day for adventurous people with rewarding “once in a life time” experience!
Please read the text below ABOUT ICE CAVES
Notice: Ice caving have become very popular in Iceland and every accessible ice cave in the area is likely to be visited by several groups every day, and at the same time as our tours.
For privatized and CUSTOMIZED TOURS & SERVICE SEE
DURATION: : 2.5-3 hours
What To Bring
- Good thermal headwear and gloves.
- Good insulated jacket and pants. Waterproof if it rains
- Good footwear essential . The boots should be high enough to provide good ankle support.
- Tennis shoes or sneakers are not appropriate shoe wear for this trip!
All necessary glacier gear such as
Trip difficulty: Easy+
See levels of difficulty here
We strongly recommend participants to go over our list of equipment and be well prepared for the tour. If participants are not adequately prepared or dressed according to the weather conditions, Iceguide reserves the right to refuse them to participate in the tour to ensure safety.
For further information on gear and clothing see FAQ´s
NEED TO KNOW
- Reasonable fitness is required for the Ice cave tour. Participants should be able to walk some distance on rough terrain.
- Iceguide does not provide any pick-up or transportation to the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón).
48 hours cancellation policy. Full refund if cancelled more than 48 hours before departure. All of our tours can be cancelled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions, with short notice. In such cases a full refund is provided.
- All of our tours are undertaken as the responsibility of its participants.
- Iceguide does not take any responsibility for accidents that can be traced to participants own actions.
- Iceguide cannot make sure that no other persons or other unrelated groups are in the Ice cave at the same time.
- Good outdoor clothing is required in our ice cave tours, we recommend two layers for your lower body and three layers for your upper body. Windproof and well insulated clothing, waterproof if it´s raining. Bring good headwear and gloves. Good footwear is critical in our ice cave tours, sneakers or similar street shoes are not acceptable for the tour. Iceguide does not rent out any footwear or clothing.
ABOUT ICE CAVES
Ice caves are temporary structures that appear at the edge of glacier in wintertime, very often where the glacier meltwater runs out from underneath the glacier. During summertime almost every ice cave melts down and new one appears in the beginning of winter. Then we at Iceguide go scouting out for new ice caves. When temperature falls the ice becomes more staple and the water surface in the caves drops. Not every ice cave is safe to visit, in our ice cave tours the guide will evaluate each time if the cave is safe to visit, with regard to the situation, weather and condition. Winter in Iceland can be rainy and warm, especially on the south-east coast of Iceland. Ice cave tours are very weather dependent, rain and warm days are not ideal condition for ice cave excursions. On such days the caves can get flooded and/or the ice to unstable and the ice cave not save to visit. In this condition the ice cave tours can be cancelled with short notice because of safety reasons, or only parts of the cave may be accessible.
Often the ice caves are given names, the name may indicate some of its features, or it may draw the name from its location.
The Crystal ice cave was an ice cave that we at Iceguide get many questions about. Many companies, offering ice cave tours, advertise their tours as Crystal ice cave tours, even though the actual Crystal ice cave is melted many years ago.
The Crystal ice cave was very big and beautiful ice cave and many pictures where taken in that ice cave, it was also the first natural ice cave in Iceland that was regularly visited by companies offering ice cave tour. Therefore the Crystal ice cave is likely the most famous ice cave in Iceland. We at Iceguide always make sure to do our very best to visit the most beautiful ice cave in the area.
Iceguide is one of the first companies in Iceland to offer ice cave tours and pioneers in ice caving.