WATERFALL ICE CAVE TOUR
Availability: November – March
In this tour we visit more remote ice cave with longer approach. Great adventure with breathtaking glacier landscape and fantastic photo opportunities. We leave the crowd behind for more remote hidden gems.
This tour is rated moderate/hard. Good level of fitness is required for this tour. The approach to the ice cave is 30-60 minutes.
In some cases ropes and other safety equipment may be needed. All of our tours are only led by experienced certified glacier guide.
Group size max 8 persons
Ice cave tours are very weather dependant, rain and warm days are not ideal conditions for Ice cave excursions. On such days the caves can get flooded and/or the ice to unstable and the ice cave not safe to visit. In these situations the ice cave tours can be cancelled with short notice because of safety reasons.
Min age: 16 years
DURATION: Approx 4,5 HOURS
Meeting point: The Waterfall ice cave tour departs from the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón) main parking lot. Coordinates N64 02.898 W16 10.795. Distance from Reykjavík is 370 km.
Departure time: 10:30 (We recommend participants to be there 15 min before departure time).
Iceguide does not provide any pick up or transportation to the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón)
What To Bring:
- Warm outdoor clothing
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Headwear and gloves
- Good hiking shoes are essential
- Head light
- Hand torch
ICE CAVES / NEED TO KNOW
Ice caves are temporary structures that appear at the edge of glacier in wintertime, very often where the glacier meltwater runs out from underneeth the glacier. During summertime almost every ice cave melts down and new one appears in the beginning of winter. Then the local ice cave guides go scouting out for new ice caves. When temperature falls the ice becomes more staple and the watersurface in the caves drops. Not every icecave is safe to visit, in our icecave tours the guide will evaluate each time if the cave is save to visit, with regard to the situation, weather and ice condition. Winter in Iceland can be rainy and warm, specially on the south-east coast of Iceland. Ice cave tours are very weather dependant, rain and warm days are not ideal condition for ice cave excursions. On such days the caves can get flooded and/or the ice to unstable and the ice cave not save to visit. In these situations the ice cave tours can be cancelled with short notice because of safety reasons.
If our ice cave tour gets cancelled because of weather or safety reasons participants will get full refund. Our safety standards are high and Ice caves should never be visited without a local guide who knows the ice caves and the area well. In some cases ropes and other safety equipment may be needed, and should only be led by experienced guides.
- Reasonable fitness is required for the Ice cave tour. Participants should be able to walk some distance on rough terrain.
- Good level of fitness is required.
- Departure from the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón) main parking lot, coordinates N64 02.898 W16 10.795. Distance from Reykjavík is 370 km.
- Iceguide does not provide any pick-up or transportation to the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón).
- 48 hours cancellation policy. Full refund if cancelled within 48 hours.
- All of our tours are undertaken as the responsibility of its participants.
- Iceguide does not take any responsibility for accidents that can be traced to participants own actions.
- Iceguide cannot make sure that no other persons or other unrelated groups are in the Ice cave at the same time.
- Good outdoor clothing is required in our ice cave tours, we recommend two layers for your lower body and three layers for your upper body. Windproof and well insulated clothing, waterproof if it´s raining. Bring good headwear and gloves. Good footwear is critical in our ice cave tours, sneakers or similar street shoes are not acceptable for the tour. Iceguide does not rent out any footwear or clothing.