ICE CAVE EXCURSION
Availability: November – March
Come with us on a great adventure in a breathtaking glacier landscape and with fantastic photo opportunities. We will show you the most interesting ice cave in the area – even if it takes little bit more time and effort.
If nature doesn’t allow us to visit this very special ice cave that given day, don’t worry, we have stunning alternatives ready to hand. Gear up with crampons, harnesses, helmets for a walk upon the mighty Vatnajökull glacier, discover ice formations, crevasses, and the endless stunning landscape battling to become the best motif your camera can catch.
The Iceguide crew are one of the pioneers in ice cave tours in Iceland and our goal is to offer high quality personal service with small groups and great experience.
Iceguide is a local company and we have great knowledge of the area. All of our tours are led by experienced and certified glacier guides.
Notice that we do not recommend our participants to travel long distances same day as the tour takes place. Failure to show up by departure time will result in the cancellation of your booking and the forfeit of your booking fee. Please be on time!
For road condition see vegagerdin.is and weather vedur.is
We will adapt to nature, nature does not adapt to us!
DURATION: Approx 4,5 HOURS
- Group size max 8 persons
- The tour can include glacier hike and/or light mountaineering with steep sections
- This tour is rated Easy+/Moderate
- Good outdoor clothing is critical for this tour, for information on clothing or footwear contact us!
- The approach to the ice cave can take 30-60 minutes.
The ice cave tour departs from the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón) parking lot, coordinates N64 02.898 W16 10.795. Distance from Reykjavík is 370 km. Iceguide does not provide any transportation from Reykjavík to Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón).
What To Bring
- Warm outdoor clothing
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Headwear and gloves
- Good high angle hiking shoes are essential
All necessary glacier gear such as
- Ice axe
NEED TO KNOW
- Reasonable fitness is required for the Ice cave tour. Participants should be able to walk some distance on rough terrain.
- Iceguide does not provide any pick-up or transportation to the Glacier lagoon (Jökulsárlón).
48 hours cancellation policy. Full refund if cancelled more than 48 hours before departure. All of our tours can be cancelled due to safety reasons or other natural conditions, with short notice. In such cases a full refund is provided.
- All of our tours are undertaken as the responsibility of its participants.
- Iceguide does not take any responsibility for accidents that can be traced to participants own actions.
- Iceguide cannot make sure that no other persons or other unrelated groups are in the Ice cave at the same time.
- Good outdoor clothing is required in our ice cave tours, we recommend two layers for your lower body and three layers for your upper body. Windproof and well insulated clothing, waterproof if it´s raining. Bring good headwear and gloves. Good footwear is critical in our ice cave tours, sneakers or similar street shoes are not acceptable for the tour. Iceguide does not rent out any footwear or clothing.
ABOUT ICE CAVES
Ice caves are temporary structures that appear at the edge of glacier in wintertime, very often where the glacier meltwater runs out from underneeth the glacier. During summertime almost every ice cave melts down and new one appears in the beginning of winter. Then the local ice cave guides go scouting out for new ice caves. When temperature falls the ice becomes more staple and the watersurface in the caves drops. Not every icecave is safe to visit, in our icecave tours the guide will evaluate each time if the cave is save to visit, with regard to the situation, weather and ice condition. Winter in Iceland can be rainy and warm, specially on the south-east coast of Iceland. Ice cave tours are very weather dependant, rain and warm days are not ideal condition for ice cave excursions. On such days the caves can get flooded and/or the ice to unstable and the ice cave not save to visit. In these situations the ice cave tours can be cancelled with short notice because of safety reasons.
If our ice cave tour gets cancelled because of weather or safety reasons participants will get full refund. Our safety standards are high and Ice caves should never be visited without a local guide who knows the ice caves and the area well. In some cases ropes and other safety equipment may be needed, and should only be led by experienced guides.